Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)
The Government of India launched the scheme for Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) with effect from 14 November 2005. The eligibility criteria and the application form are available at:
Online registration may be made using the above MHA website. A family consisting of spouses and upto two minor children can apply in the same form. The children above the age of 18 need to apply in separate form. After filling the 'Part A of the application online, click on the save button which automatically displays the print option. Click on the print option which generates 'Part B' of the application automatically. Click on the print option to print the hard copy of the application. Hard copy of the application along with necessary enclosures and fees of Euro 235/- per application can be submitted to this embassy for processing the application. Those who are already holding PIO Cards can apply on payment of a fee of Euro 22/-(Copy of the PIO card has to be attached to the application).
Documents to be submitted along with application:
(1) Two copies of Application (Part A&B)
(2) Two photographs of 3.5 x 3.5 cm size
(3) Signature within the Box meant for the signature.
(4) Two copies of applicant's passport.
(5) Proof of Indian origin, viz., copy of Indian passport, copy of domicile certificate, etc.Evidence of relationship as parent/grand parent if Indian origin is claimed as basis for grant of OCI.
(5) All documents should be self attested.
(6) Applicants other than Greek nationals, please provide proof of residence.
(8) Indian passports are required to be surrendered on acquisition of foreign nationality. PIO Card holders are required to surrender their cards in order to receive OCI Card.
Note: Minor children whose both parents are Indian citizens are not entitled to OCI.
Benefits of an OCI: (a) Multi-purpose, multiple entry, lifelong visa for visiting India (b) Exemption from registration with local policy authority for any length of stay in India (c) Parity with NRIs in respect of economic, financial and education fields except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties.
OCI Miscellaneous Services
OCI Miscellaneous Services have been launched with effect from 1.1.2008. The service can be availed by all registered OCIs for re-issuance / issuance of duplicate OCI documents in certain situations viz., change of personal particulars, change of passport, loss/damage of OCI registration certificate/visa, wrong filing of particulars by applicant while submitting online application for OCI registration, change of address/occupation.
Registered OCIs shall make the application online selecting the requisite service(s) using the software module at https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIMiscMain.jsp https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIMiscMain.jsp. Hard copy of application along with requisite fees and enclosures to be submitted to the Embassy. Application can be submitted in Indian Mission/Post/Office in whose jurisdiction the applicant is ordinarily residing irrespective of the fact whether the same Mission/Post/Office has issued the original OCI documents or not. After receipt of application, Mission shall issue File (Acknowledgement) Number to the applicant by e-mail. Status of the requisite service(s) can be checked by the applicant on Online Status Enquiry. After grant of the requisite service(s), new OCI documents shall be issued after cancellation of the old documents.
Fees for OCI Miscellaneous services:
(1) Re-issuance of OCI documents in case of : Euro 20/-
- issuance of new passport
- change of personal particulars
- wrong filing of particulars by applicant
(2) For issuance of duplicate OCI documents
in case of loss/damage : Euro 70/-
(Both OCI registration certificate and visa shall be issued in respect of any/all services)